Monday, April 6, 2009

Response to Online Article


Summary - 

Over the past 2 years years the crave for a male heir has sent the abduction rate through the roof. Little boys are being snatched from their homes everyday and sold to families throughout China. So many families want boys that they will do or pay anything to get one, China has always favored boys more because when they get married their wife moves in with the family. When parents get older they want someone to be around to take care of them, also if they have a daughter they have to pay a dowry. Though there are kidnappings everyday the police and Chinese Government are doing nothing to stop it. The police blow it off like it is not a big deal, and tell the families to wait 24 hours to begin searching. Families have stopped relying on the government and police and have taken matters into their own hands, by searching the streets at night and traveling the country looking for their missing children.

Thoughts - 
 The idea that the police and government are doing nothing to help these families is absolutely ridiculous. It is also crazy that they are selling children in China, that the demand for a boy child is so popular people are making a profit off of it and that people are actually buying them. This makes me thankful to live in the United States where you don't have to worry about your son being stolen and sold on he streets. 


3 comments:

  1. This is a very fascinating article. However, I find it alarming that this is the first time I have heard about this issue going on in China. Growing up, I've always heard about the child birth limits in China and that boys are more valuable.However, I never knew or imagined that people would go to such extremes. This seems to be an issue that has been silenced and now it is finally being given a voice. I think this is a good example of the power of journalism- giving a voice to important issues through writing. And, more importantly, empowering people to do something about it with the knowledge they have gained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is insane. Growing up in the United States makes horror stories like this impossible to imagine. This is a good example of how, hopefully, journalists can highlight otherwise forgotten issues and get something accomplished. The fact that people even have to resort to taking matters into their own hands just goes to show how little importance this issue has with China's government. Furthermore, it's when the people have to protect themselves from nightmares like this that they will resort to extreme measures. Hopefully, through articles like this one, police will be able to see just how much of an effect their refusal to intervene is having on their country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was aware of the emphasis placed on birthing boys in China, but, to be honest, I had no idea that child kidnapping was such a major problem in the country. I agree with the poster and the other commenters that this is a terrible situation. Granted, I don't know hardly any of the facts on the issue, but it's clear that the government and the police must somehow crack down on these rings to at least stem the tide of this illegal market. Anything less would be immoral. Plus, it should be noted that things like this can and do happen in many countries throughout the world.

    ReplyDelete