The subject I have found to be the most interesting in Journalism is the importance of how you word things. This is often related to racism in the media, and the stir it causes when released. Many times racism is portrayed through movies, or on TV. It is not so much that people are purposely saying racial things, it is that they are stereotyping people and it is usually in negative ways, just as the video linked above. In the Disney movie aladdin film makers stereotype Arabs, they make them out to be barbaric people who just kill people like it is nothing. The song at the beginning of the movie even says these things, but when kids are young it isn't something they directly think about, but it makes them grow up thinking that that is how people from the middle east are. I know that I grew up singing all the worlds to Aladdin only to find out it was racist my freshman year in college, all that time I never thought anything of it. People have to be careful of what they say in the media, because stereotyping can make people assume things about people with out actually knowing. When you portray a certain race a negative way you have to remember who is watching.
Monday, April 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment